It’s easy to focus on what’s missing in your life (not yet hitting the NYT bestseller list), or what makes you angry (pretty much all of politics these days). However, I believe the secret of happiness comes from getting away from those things and taking the time to figure out what you grateful for that you already have in your life. There would be far less asshat behaviour if people could keep this in mind.
Things I’m grateful for in no particular order:
* My towering stack of to-be-read books which means I’ll never be without something to read.
* The TV show Hoarders which means in comparison I get to feel uber clean.
* That pumpkin muffins, bread, tea season is coming up. Mmm pumpkin.
* Reading the Sunday paper on the sofa with a dog (or two) nearby and feeling that smug-smart feeling.
* That glorious moment when you realize you do have ten items or less and can use the express line.
* Realizing that my job consists of making stuff up. WAAAAY better than say working in a poultry processing plant.
* Great family and friends who openly acknowledge that they know me despite my many flaws and tendency to snort if I’m laughing really hard.
* The smell of fresh baked bread or cookies.
* Giving someone the eye to let them know you did see their dog take a giant dump in your yard and yes, indeed you do expect them to pick that up.
* Walking on the beach listening to the waves and realizing that totally by luck you managed to avoid stepping into a pile of rotted fish bits.
* The sound of dogs snoring.
* Writing when everything is going well.
* Waking up and realizing you don’t have to get up yet and being able to roll over and go back to sleep.
* Slipping into a cashmere sweater and a pair of slumpy old yoga pants.
What things are you grateful for?