One of my goals is to spend more time being grateful for things in my life. This is for two primary reasons
a) I have a lot to be grateful for
b) I feel by being grateful I am letting the universe know that I do understand how lucky I am. This way it doesn’t feel compelled to whack me with some kind of awful thing to remind me that I really did have it good. I am a firm believer that the universe can really be a bitch this way. In fairness, for most of us the only time we realize how fortunate we are is when something vile happens and we’re stuck thinking “dang, life was so much better before I walked into this bear trap chased by a hoarde of killer bees and developed raging intestinal issues.”
Things I’ve been grateful for in the past week in no particular order-
* When I was at the grocery store and realized my car keys had fallen into the trunk a split second before I slammed it shut. Being locked out of the car with melting frozen food products in the freezer would have been a real downer.
* For a shiny new manicure that makes me glad that a) I no longer shred my fingernails in anxiety and b) that they look so sassy all done up in whore red. One can feel sassy with a good manicure even if you are wearing yoga pants.
* I taught over the weekend and not once did I have that “oh dear God, I have no idea what to talk about for the next hour” feeling. Bonus- everyone seemed to enjoy the class or at the very least no one threw anything at me.
* Found a tweet on Twitter where someone was raving about how much they liked my book. They weren’t even related to me.
* I heard that a project I’ve been hoping for looks like it is a go. This is all sorts of exciting because it involves working with awesome people in addition to being generally cool. Extra bonus includes that the awesome people ASKED me to be part of the project. I didn’t even have to beg- although I totally would have done this if required.
* Had change for the parking meter.
* My dog Cairo fell asleep curled up in my lap and then had a dog dream complete with paw twitching and muffled barking.
* Had a romantic late Valentine’s day/early birthday celebration for DH dinner. We’ve been together a long time and we still find each other interesting. One would assume we would have run out of things to talk about before now, but nope.
* The library emailed me to tell me the book I requested was in. And I even have time to read it.
* Homemade chocolate chip cookies.
* Found the perfect birthday gift for DH that makes me feel all- “that’s right! Nailed it!”
What are you grateful for this week?